- Outdoor Wall Lights 1279
- Plug and Play Lights 77
- EasyFit Lights 49
- Garden 24V Lighting 43
- Floodlights 209
- Security Lights 214
- Porch Lights 150
- Post & Bollard Lights 240
- Lamp Posts 29
- Pedestal Lights 63
- Tile & Brick Lights 191
- Sign Lights 4
- Stake Lights 49
- Garden Spotlights 159
- Deck & Ground Lights 77
- Solar Lights 191
- Soffit Lights 15
- Feature Lights 289
- Fairy Lights 74
- Festoon Lights 48
- Corner Wall Lights 20
- Lanterns 327
- Low Voltage Garden Lights 0
- Coastal Lighting 226
- Pond Lighting 4
- Outdoor Ceiling Lights 27
- Patio Lights 4
- Vintage Outdoor Wall Lights 1
- Outdoor Wall Lights with Sensor 51
- Outdoor Pendant Lighting 23
- Solar Wall Lights 17
- Copper / Brass Outdoor Wall Lights 30
- Easy-Install Outdoor Wall Lights 28
- Portable & Rechargeable Outdoor Lights 99
- Solar Motion Sensor Lights & Security Lights 2
- Smart Outdoor Lighting 26
- Decorative Solar Lights & Solar Stake Lights 131
- LED Bollard Lights & LED Pathway Lights 4
- Pathway Lighting 55
The exterior of our homes are sometimes forgotten about, or are low on the list of priorities when we’re doing renovations. But lighting up the entrance to our homes, and our gardens is important, both for safety, and so that we have sufficient light for when we’re enjoying the outside of our homes during the warmer months.
You might be looking for outdoor lighting to light up certain areas of your garden, or for a particular reason – so you might be using wall lights, post lights, and porch lights. Maybe you’re looking for lights for your patio, such as decorative strings of fairy lights or festoons, or perhaps you’re looking for ways to highlight specific elements of your garden, such as garden spotlights, deck and ground lights, or feature lights. There’s a huge amount of choice in our range of outdoor lights, and so whatever type of lighting you are looking for, we’re certain to have the right solution for you.
When you’re choosing outdoor lighting, the next thing to consider is how you’re powering your lights. If you have access to mains power, or you’ll be employing an electrician, that’s fantastic – you can take your pick of every single style. But where access to mains power is difficult, then there are other options. Battery powered lighting is an outstanding option, with many decorative styles that are perfect for patios available with USB chargers. The best option if you’re lighting a garden where there is no access to electricity, or you don’t want additional drain on your energy bill is solar powered outdoor lighting. LEDs have low power requirements, and so even after gloomy days, your solar powered lighting can light up your evenings.
However you power your outdoor lighting, it needs to have the functions that you want. Our range includes dusk to dawn lights, security lights, floodlights, and models with Wi-Fi connection, PIR sensors and timers, so that your outdoor lighting is available exactly when you need it, and is switched off when you don’t.
Outdoor lights are a fantastic way to enhance the look and feel of the outdoor space around your home. Whether you’re looking to brighten pathways for safety, highlight garden features, or to be able to enjoy your patio or deck in the warmer months of the year, you’re going to need outdoor lights. From sleek, minimal up and down lights, to classic lantern styles, there’s a vast choice of outdoor lights to choose from, so you can find the perfect lighting solutions for your needs. It can be challenging to know where to start when choosing the right outdoor lights for your home, so in this post, we’ll explore everything you need to know about outdoor lights, from the different types and styles to the benefits. Let’s go!...
How are outdoor lights powered?
Outdoor lights can be powered by various sources, including mains power, solar power, and batteries. Mains powered outdoor lights are the ones that are permanent, and you’re going to need to work with an electrician to install them. They offer a reliable and consistent power source, making them ideal for areas where lighting is required frequently or for long periods. However, there are also low voltage (12v or 24v) styles that can simply be plugged into an outdoor socket, and these are a great choice if you need dependable lighting, but don’t need it to be permanent, such as the case may be in a rented property.
Solar powered outdoor lights rely on solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. They are a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option, since they don’t require any external power source or wiring. Modern solar-powered lights make use of LED technology and have rechargeable batteries, making them brighter and more efficient than ever before. They are perfect for areas with good exposure to sunlight and where mains power is not available, and where you don’t need permanent lighting.
Battery operated outdoor lights offer flexibility and portability. They can be easily installed without the need for wiring or electrical connections. They are ideal for temporary use, such as during outdoor events or camping trips, or for areas where you need a light for a special occasion. However, they do require regular battery replacements, which can be inconvenient if you use rechargeable ones, or the costs of replacements may add up over time.
What types of outdoor lights do you supply?
At Lighting Direct, we offer a wide variety of outdoor lights to suit any taste and style. Here are just a few of the types of outdoor lights that we supply:
- Our outdoor wall lights are a popular choice for illuminating doorways, patios, and other outdoor areas. We have a variety of styles and finishes to complement any home.
- Bollard and post lights are perfect for lighting up driveways, pathways, and gardens. They can easily be added anywhere in your outdoor space, and are available in a range of heights and finishes.
- Low voltage lights are a great way to provide lighting throughout the garden. They can be fitted with multiple lights on the same circuit, and there are a range of sizes and styles that you can add.
- Floodlights are a powerful and versatile option for outdoor lighting. They can be used to illuminate large areas such as driveways and gardens, or to highlight specific features such as statues or trees.
- Security lights are an essential addition to any home. They can help to provide peace of mind by lighting dark areas completely, and deterring potential intruders.
These are just a few examples of the types of outdoor lights available at Lighting Direct, and whatever your outdoor lighting needs, we have the products and expertise to help you achieve the perfect look and feel for your outdoor space.
What styles of outdoor lights do you have?
Lighting Direct has a wide range of styles of outdoor lights to suit various tastes and preferences. Some of the popular styles include:
- Contemporary with sleek, modern designs that feature clean lines and geometric shapes. Contemporary outdoor lights are ideal for adding a touch of sophistication to any outdoor space.
- Traditional, classic designs featuring ornate details, curved lines, and timeless finishes. Traditional outdoor lights are ideal for creating a warm and inviting atmosphere in any outdoor setting.
- Rustic designs that feature natural materials, such as wood and metal, and often with a distressed or weathered look. Rustic outdoor lights can add country charm to a garden or patio.
- Industrial, utilitarian designs that feature raw materials, exposed bulbs, and metal finishes. Industrial outdoor lights are ideal for creating a modern, urban feel in an outdoor space.
- Coastal designs that feature nautical-inspired details, such as rope accents, weathered finishes, and maritime shapes. Coastal outdoor lights are perfect for creating a beachy, relaxed vibe in an outdoor space.
With all these and plenty more styles available, Lighting Direct makes it easy to find the perfect outdoor lights to suit your home and garden.
How do I know if a light can be used outdoors?
If you’re looking to add some outdoor lighting to your home, it’s essential to make sure that the lights you choose are suitable for use outside. Not all lights are designed to withstand the elements, and using indoor lights outdoors can be dangerous and potentially cause damage to your home. So, how do you know if a light can be used outdoors?
The first thing to look for is the IP (Ingress Protection) rating of the light. This rating indicates the level of protection the light offers against dust and water. The first number in the IP rating refers to the level of protection against solid objects, and the second number indicates the level of protection against water.
For outdoor use, you’ll want your lights to have a minimum IP rating of 44. This rating means that the light is protected against splashing water from any direction, and is suitable for use in most outdoor areas. However, if the light will be exposed to direct water, such as in a water feature or near a pool, you’ll need a higher IP rating of 65 or higher.
In addition to the IP rating, you should also check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure that the light is designed for outdoor use. Look for lights that are specifically labelled as outdoor or damp-rated – this will ensure that the light is designed to withstand the elements and can be safely used outside.
By choosing outdoor-rated lights with the appropriate IP rating, you can ensure that your outdoor lighting is safe, durable, and able to withstand the elements for years to come.
Should I get outdoor lights with motion sensors?
Whether to get outdoor lighting with motion sensors depends on personal preference and specific needs. Outdoor lighting with motion sensors can provide added security by detecting motion and illuminating the area when someone approaches, which can help to deter intruders. It can also be a convenient feature, as the light will turn on automatically when you, or a legitimate visitor walks towards your home. Additionally, motion sensors help to save energy, since the light will only switch on when motion is detected. Ultimately though, the decision to get outdoor lighting with motion sensors or not is up to you – do you need the light to be on throughout the night, or just when you want to get into your home?
What are the best bulbs to use??
When it comes to outdoor lighting, LED bulbs are generally considered the best option for a number of reasons. First and foremost, they are extremely energy-efficient and can help you save on your energy bills. LED bulbs use up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and they last much longer and are more environmentally friendly.
Another benefit of LED bulbs is their durability. They are built to last and can withstand harsh weather conditions, such as rain, snow, and extreme temperatures. This makes them ideal for outdoor lighting, where they will be exposed to the elements. LED bulbs are available in a range of colours and brightness levels, making it easy to achieve the perfect look and ambiance for your outdoor space.
Lastly, LED bulbs are very versatile and can be used in a variety of outdoor lighting fixtures, including wall sconces, landscape lighting, and security lights. They can also be used with timers and dimmers, and outdoor lights with LEDs often have smart lighting capabilities, connecting to your Wi-Fi or with a Bluetooth connection to an app on your smartphone. which allows you to have greater control over the lighting and energy consumption.
Are there light bulbs built in?
Yes, many outdoor lights come with built in light bulbs in the form of integrated LED modules. These LED modules are designed to be energy efficient and long lasting, with a typical lifespan of around 25,000-50,000 hours. This means that they can last for several years without needing to be replaced – especially if they aren’t on throughout the night – making them a convenient and low maintenance option for outdoor lighting. Integrated LEDs are also beneficial because they can provide a uniform and consistent light output, which can be especially important for security lighting.
One of the advantages of integrated LED modules is that they are designed to be highly durable and resistant to the elements, making them a suitable option for outdoor lighting. They are typically rated with an IP (Ingress Protection) rating, which indicates their level of resistance to dust and water. Many outdoor lighting fixtures come with a high IP rating, such as IP65 or higher, to ensure that they can withstand exposure to the elements.
Overall, integrated LED modules are a reliable and energy-efficient option for outdoor lighting, with a long lifespan and consistent light output. They can provide a convenient and low-maintenance solution for lighting up outdoor spaces, while also offering the benefits of energy efficiency and durability.
Are your outdoor lights suitable for coastal regions?
Not all of the lights in our range are suitable for coastal regions. Coastal regions have a harsher environment due to the salt air, humidity, and high winds, which can cause damage to the light fixtures. Therefore, it’s important to choose outdoor lights that are specifically designed for coastal regions. These lights are typically made of materials that are resistant to corrosion and rust, such as stainless steel, copper, or brass. They may also have a special coating or finish that can protect the fixture from the salty air. It’s important to check the manufacturer’s specifications to ensure that the outdoor lights are suitable for coastal regions. We’ve put our coastal lighting in a separate section on our website, so if you live near the sea, check out our coastal collection here.
Are solar lights really bright enough?
Yes, definitely! Solar lights have come a long way in recent years, and many are now bright enough to be used as effective outdoor lighting solutions. The key to the brightness of modern solar lights is the use of LED technology, which offers a highly efficient and long-lasting source of light. LEDs use less power than traditional bulbs, meaning that solar lights can run for longer on the same battery charge. Batteries and solar panels used in modern solar lights are much improved from older solar powered lights, allowing them to charge more efficiently and retain their charge for longer periods of time.
When choosing solar lights, it’s important to look for models with a high lumen output, which indicates a brighter light. Some solar lights are also equipped with motion sensors, which can further enhance their brightness by only activating when they detect movement. However, it’s worth noting that the brightness of solar lights can vary depending on the weather and the amount of sunlight they receive, so they may not be as bright on cloudy days or in areas with limited direct sunlight.
Solar lights are completely suitable for lighting many outdoor spaces. They offer the added benefits of being energy efficient, environmentally friendly, and easy to install without the need for wiring or an electrical connection. With the advancements in LED technology and solar power, solar lights are now a more viable option for outdoor lighting, even in areas where electrical power is available.
What additional features and functionality do outdoor lights have?
Outdoor lights have evolved over the years to offer a variety of features and functionality to enhance the aesthetics, safety, and energy efficiency of your outdoor space. Some of these additional features include:
- As we’ve already mentioned, many outdoor lights come with solar panels that charge during the day, providing energy for lighting during the night. This reduces electricity consumption and helps conserve resources.
- Outdoor lights can be equipped with motion sensors that activate the lights when movement is detected within a certain range. This feature adds security and can help conserve energy by only turning on the lights when needed.
- Dusk-to-dawn sensors automatically turn the lights on at dusk and off at dawn, ensuring your outdoor space remains well-lit during the night without any manual intervention.
- Some outdoor lights have dimmable features, allowing you to control the brightness and create a more customised ambiance.
- LED outdoor lights may offer colour-changing capabilities, enabling you to switch between different colours and create dynamic lighting effects for various occasions or moods.
- Many outdoor lights can be integrated with smart home systems, allowing you to control them remotely through your smartphone or voice assistants like Alexa or Google Assistant.
- LED and low-voltage lighting options are significantly more energy efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, reducing energy consumption and saving on electricity bills.
- Some outdoor lights come with built in timers, so that you can set specific on and off times for your convenience.
- Outdoor lights with battery backup can continue to provide illumination even during power outages, ensuring safety and security. These are common in lighting for commercial use, but you may find some styles with battery backup for use in emergency in our collection.
Our final thoughts
Outdoor lighting is an essential component of any home’s exterior design. With the range of options available at Lighting Direct, you’re sure to find the perfect outdoor lighting for your needs, whether you’re looking for something modern, traditional, or solar-powered. Remember to consider factors such as bulb type, IP rating, and style when choosing your outdoor lights. However you power your outdoor lighting, it needs to have the functions that you want. Our range includes dusk to dawn lights, security lights, floodlights, and models with Wi-Fi connection, PIR sensors and timers, so that your outdoor lighting is available exactly when you need it, and is switched off when you don’t.
You might be looking for outdoor lighting to light up certain areas of your garden, or for a particular reason – so you might be using a combination of wall lights, post lights, and porch lights. Maybe you’re looking for lights for your patio, such as decorative strings of fairy lights or festoons, or perhaps you’re looking for ways to highlight specific elements of your garden, such as garden spotlights, deck and ground lights, or feature lights.
There’s a huge amount of choice in our range of outdoor lights, and so whatever type of lighting you are looking for, we’re certain to have the right solution for you. Don’t forget, when you shop with us, you can do so with confidence knowing that our Change Your Mind Guarantee has got you covered – you can request a return or exchange up to 30 days after you receive your order. Browse our range of outdoor lights today and find the perfect lighting for your garden.