Floor lamps are a versatile and functional addition to any home, providing both ambient and task lighting while also serving as a decorative element. With so many styles, sizes, and materials to choose from, selecting the perfect floor lamp for your space can be a daunting task. That’s why we’ve put together this guide to help you navigate the world of floor lamps and make an informed decision. From choosing the right type of lamp, to matching it with your existing décor, we’ll cover everything you need to know to find the perfect floor lamp for your home.
What are the different types of floor lamps?
When shopping for floor lamps for your home, there are a variety of types to consider. Here are some of the most popular styles:
- A torchiere floor lamp directs light upwards, providing ambient lighting for a room. They are often tall and slim, making them a good option for smaller spaces or rooms with low ceilings.
- Reading floor lamps are designed to provide direct light for reading or other close-up tasks. They often feature an adjustable arm or gooseneck to allow you to position the light where you need it most.
- A tree style floor lamp has multiple branches or arms, each with its own light source, allowing for adjustable and directional lighting.
- Tripod floor lamps have three legs, and are often designed with industrial styling. They take up a little more space, but can pack more of a punch in terms of design.
- Arc floor lamps feature a curved arm that extends in an arc, providing direct lighting without taking up space on a table or desk. They are often used in living rooms, dining rooms, or home offices.
What materials are floor lamps made from?
Floor lamps can be made from a variety of materials, each with their own benefits and style. Materials designers frequently use for floor lamps are many and varied, but these are some of the most popular:
- Metal floor lamps can be a great choice for those looking for a sleek and modern look, as they often have a clean and minimalistic design. Metal is a durable and long-lasting material, so your floor lamp will withstand regular use for years to come. Additionally, metal floor lamps can be found in a variety of finishes, such as brushed nickel, polished chrome, antique gold, or oil-rubbed bronze, allowing you to choose a style that complements your existing décor. Whether you’re looking to add a touch of industrial or contemporary style to your room, a metal floor lamp can be a versatile and stylish option.
- Wooden floor lamps are a popular choice if you want a more natural, warm and organic look in your home. They can add a sense of cosiness to any room and can complement a variety of décor styles, including rustic, traditional, and modern. Wooden floor lamps can have different finishes, which can range from polished to distressed, stained, or painted in a variety of colours.
- A fabric floor lamp can add a soft and warm touch to a room, making it a popular choice for creating a cosy atmosphere. Fabric shades are available in a variety of colours and patterns, so you can choose a lamp that complements your décor, and the fabric helps to diffuse the light, creating a soft and relaxing ambiance. Because there are so many different fabrics available, you’re certain to find one that suits your décor themes.
- A floor lamp with a glass component can be elegant and sophisticated, and glass can be used as a decorative element in the lamp base, shade, or both, and may be a variety of styles and colours. A clear glass lamp can offer a modern and minimalist look, while coloured glass can add a pop of colour or a vintage feel to a space. Additionally, a floor lamp with a colourful glass shade can help to diffuse light and create a pretty effect in the room.
- A plastic floor lamp might be a good choice if you are looking for an affordable and lightweight option, or a lamp that is a bit more out of the ordinary. Plastic floor lamps are easy to move around, and are available in a wide range of colours and styles. They can also be a good option in spaces where the lamp may be subject to wear and tear. However, plastic may not be as durable as other materials and may not provide the same level of aesthetic appeal.
There is no “one size fits all”, best choice when it comes to materials for a floor lamp, as it largely depends on what you like, and the overall style and décor of your home.
What is the best height for a floor lamp?
When it comes to choosing the right height for your floor lamp, there are a few factors to consider. The height of the lamp should be proportional to the size of the room and the furniture it will be placed next to, and as a general rule, the bottom of the lampshade should be at eye level when seated, to provide optimal lighting for reading or other activities. This usually translates to a height between 58 to 64 inches for most floor lamps.
If you have a room with higher ceilings or a larger space, a taller floor lamp may be more appropriate to balance the space. On the other hand, if you have low ceilings or a smaller room, a shorter floor lamp may be a better fit. There isn’t a perfect size for a floor lamp – it depends on what you need, the size of the room, and the styling of your space when choosing the height of your floor lamp.
Can I use a floor lamp for reading?
If you plan to use your floor lamp for reading or other tasks, you may want to look for models with additional reading lamps that can be angled to direct light where it’s needed most. Some floor lamps also come with adjustable brightness and colour temperature options, allowing you to customise the lighting to your specific needs, when you’re using them for different activities. You might also want to consider the size of the lampshade and the height of the lamp to ensure that the light is distributed where it is needed most.
What type of bulb should I use in my floor lamp?
When it comes to choosing the right bulb for your floor lamp, LED bulbs are an increasingly popular choice due to their many benefits. LED bulbs are highly energy-efficient, using up to 80% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. They also have a longer lifespan, lasting up to 25 times longer than other types, which means you won’t need to replace them as frequently, reducing the amount of waste you produce. LED bulbs produce very little heat, so they are safer to use, and they are available in a range of brightness levels and colour temperatures to suit your needs and preferences. They are also highly durable, resistant to shocks, vibrations, and extreme temperatures, making them a great choice for floor lamps that may be moved around or adjusted frequently.
While you’re considering an LED bulb, you’ll probably also notice that there are smart bulbs that can connect to your Wi-Fi, and these are a great choice if you want to control your lighting. These bulbs are often colour changing and dimmable, so you can get the exact brightness and colour temperature that you’re looking for.
Should I choose a floor lamp with a shade or without a shade?
When deciding whether to choose a floor lamp with or without a shade, there are a few things to consider. A floor lamp with a shade can help to diffuse the light and prevent glare, making it a good choice for ambient lighting or simply for creating a warm and inviting atmosphere in your living space. It can also help to provide a more directed and focused light for specific tasks, such as reading or working on a craft project. On the other hand, a floor lamp without a shade can offer a brighter light, which can be beneficial for creating a cosy and relaxing atmosphere in your home. The decision of whether to choose a floor lamp with or without a shade is entirely up to you, what you need from your lamp, and your personal style.
Can floor lamps be dimmed?
Yes, many floor lamps can be dimmed to adjust the brightness of the light. Some floor lamps come with built-in dimmer switches, while others may require the use of an external dimmer switch. It’s important to check the specifications of the floor lamp you are considering to ensure that it is dimmable and compatible with the type of dimmer switch you plan to use. Dimming a floor lamp can be a great way to create a relaxing and ambient atmosphere in your home, as well as to save energy and reduce your electricity bill.
If you choose a floor lamp that doesn’t have the ability to be dimmed, you may want to consider using a smart bulb, which can offer dimming and colour changing.
How do I choose the right style of floor lamp for my room?
When choosing a floor lamp for your room, you want it to look great in the space. Here are some factors to consider:
- The style of your floor lamp should complement the overall style of the room. For example, a modern floor lamp may look out of place in a room with traditional furnishings, while an antique floor lamp may clash in a contemporary space.
- Consider the lighting needs of the room. Do you need a floor lamp for ambient lighting or task lighting? A floor lamp with a shade may provide more focused light for tasks such as reading or crafting, while a lamp without a shade may provide a softer, more diffused light for ambient lighting.
- The materials used in the floor lamp should also complement the décor of the room. For example, a wooden floor lamp may be ideal for a room with a rustic or natural theme, while a metal lamp may be better suited for a modern or industrial space.
- Consider the height and proportions of the lamp in relation to the room. A tall floor lamp may overpower a small room, while a short lamp may not provide enough light for a large space.
Can floor lamps be used as the primary light source in a room?
Floor lamps can certainly be used as the primary light source in a room, but it largely depends on the size of the room and your specific lighting needs. In larger rooms, a floor lamp may not provide enough light on its own and may need to be supplemented with additional lighting sources. However, in smaller rooms, a floor lamp can provide ample light and can be a great way to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. It’s important to consider the brightness of the lamp and the colour temperature of the bulb when using a floor lamp as the primary light source, and to ensure that the lamp is positioned in a way that provides even lighting throughout the room.
Designers often recommend layering lighting in a room to create a comfortable and inviting atmosphere. This involves incorporating a mix of ambient, accent, and task lighting to provide both functional and decorative lighting. Ambient lighting provides overall illumination for a room and can be achieved with ceiling lights or wall sconces. Accent lighting highlights specific features in a room such as artwork or architectural elements, and can be achieved with floor lamps or track lighting. Task lighting provides focused illumination for specific tasks such as reading or working on a computer and can be achieved with desk lamps or table lamps. By layering lighting in a room, you can create a warm and inviting atmosphere while also ensuring that each area of the room is well-lit and functional – and a floor lamp can act as all three types of lighting, depending on how you use it.
Can floor lamps be connected to smart home systems?
Yes, many modern floor lamps can be connected to smart home systems such as Alexa, Google Home, or Apple HomeKit. This allows you to control the lamp using your smartphone or voice commands, and even integrate it with other smart home devices. Some smart floor lamps even come with additional features, such as colour-changing bulbs, scheduling options, and energy-saving modes. When shopping for a floor lamp, consider whether you want to incorporate smart technology and ensure that any smart home devices you use are compatible with the lamp you choose – or the smart bulb that you pick to go in it.
Our final thoughts
Floor lamps are a great addition to any room in your home. Whether you’re looking for ambient lighting, task lighting, or simply a statement piece to enhance your décor, there are a wide variety of styles, sizes, and materials to choose from. And at Lighting Direct, we offer a Change Your Mind Guarantee that allows you to request a return or exchange within 30 days of delivery of the item, giving you peace of mind when shopping for your perfect floor lamp. So why not browse our range today and find the pesrfect floor lamp to elevate your home’s lighting design?