Under Cabinet Lights
- 20% OffSpecial Price £3.99 Regular Price £4.99
- 40% OffSpecial Price £2.99 Regular Price £4.99
- 18% OffSpecial Price £0.40 Regular Price £0.49
- 40% OffSpecial Price £2.99 Regular Price £4.99
Cabinet and display lighting can be a fantastic way to enhance the way your kitchen, living room or other living spaces look and feel. By adding lighting to your cabinets, shelves or other display areas, you can draw attention to your collection of favourite things, to draw the eye as well as inviting any visitors to look at your treasures. There are a number of styles and types of cabinet and display lights available, from simple LED strip lights, to more ornate fixtures that add to your display. In this guide, we’ll explore some of the most frequently asked questions people have about cabinet and display lights, including how to choose the right style and size, how to install, and how to maintain your lights for optimal performance.
What are cabinet and display lights used for?
Cabinet and display lights are used to light up the inside and underneath cabinets, drawers, and display cases, making it easier to see and find items stored within. In addition to brightening up your things to be able to find them, adding lights can help to showcase the contents of the cabinets or displays, highlighting items and adding visual interest to the space.
Under cabinet lights are a popular type of cabinet and display lighting that are installed underneath kitchen cabinets, providing additional task lighting for food preparation and cooking. They can also be used in other areas of the home, such as bathrooms or closets, to provide additional lighting where needed. Today, under cabinet lighting tends to be LED strips because of their ease of installation, but if you prefer a different look, other types of lights are available – which we’ll get to shortly.
In addition to their practical benefits, cabinet and display lights can also add an extra layer of lighting to a room, adding to the general ambience and making the room feel homely. And because cabinet and display lights are available in a variety of styles and finishes, from sleek and modern to traditional and ornate, you’ll easily find a lighting solution that suits your style and needs.
What are the different types of cabinet and display lights available?
There are several types of cabinet and display lights available, but LED lighting is the most popular choice due to its energy efficiency, durability, and versatility. Some of the different types of LED cabinet and display lights available include:
- LED strip lights are flexible strips of LED lights that can be easily cut to size and mounted underneath cabinets or inside display cases. They provide a smooth and even distribution of light, and are available in measurements up to 50 metres, making them a great solution for brightening up larger areas.
- LED puck lights are small, round LED lights that are typically mounted underneath cabinets or inside display cases. They provide focused, directional light, making them ideal for highlighting specific items or areas.
- LED linear lights are sleek and modern LED fixtures that are designed to be mounted directly onto the underside of cabinets, for a clean and minimalist look. They provide bright, focused light that is ideal for task lighting in the kitchen or workspace.
- LED rope lights are flexible LED lights are wrapped in a clear, plastic tube, giving them a rope-like appearance. They can be easily installed underneath cabinets or inside display cases, and provide a soft and diffuse light that creates a warm and inviting atmosphere. These are a versatile option, because they are easily removed and can be used in other areas of the home.
LED lighting offers a wide range of options for cabinet and display lighting, from slim and discreet to bold and decorative. Of course, LED lights aren’t just for cabinet and display lights – you’ll find LEDs in so many other types of lighting too. Find out more about LED lighting here.
How do I install under cabinet lights?
Installing under cabinet lights is typically a straightforward DIY job, but it can require some basic electrical knowledge and tools, depending on what type of lights you’ve chosen. If you’re installing LED strips, most people will be able to do this without any assistance, as long as you follow the instructions carefully.
While installing under cabinet lights is generally considered a simple DIY job, inexperienced customers may want to consider the assistance of a competent handyman or electrician, particularly if they are unsure about working with electrical wiring. An experienced professional will ensure that the installation is done safely and correctly.
Do under cabinet lights require special wiring?
Under cabinet lights do require electrical wiring, but they typically do not require any special wiring beyond what is standard for most household lighting. Most under cabinet lights are designed to be hardwired directly into your home’s electrical system, and they can be connected to an existing electrical circuit or to a dedicated circuit if necessary – but there are styles that can simply plug into a regular socket.
It’s important to note that while under cabinet lights do not require special wiring, they do require proper installation and grounding to ensure safety and proper functioning. As we’ve already mentioned, if you’re not comfortable working with electrical wiring, it’s always best to get a qualified electrician to handle the installation. They can ensure that the wiring is properly installed and grounded, and you won’t be left wondering if the lights are safe.
Are under cabinet lights dimmable?
Many under cabinet lights, including LED models, can be integrated with smart lighting systems and made dimmable through the use of smart switches or controllers. Smart lighting allows you to control your lights from your smartphone or voice activated assistants like Alexa or Google Home, so you have more convenient and flexible control over your lighting.
Smart lighting systems also offer a range of additional benefits, such as the ability to schedule your lights to turn on and off automatically, set up customised lighting scenes for different activities or moods, and adjust the brightness and colour temperature of your lights with ease.
When choosing under cabinet lights for use with a smart lighting system, make sure you get a model that is compatible with the system you plan to use. Some under cabinet lights may only work with a specific type of smart controller or hub, while others may be compatible with a wider range of systems.
In addition to adding convenience and flexibility to your lighting, smart under cabinet lights can also help to save energy and reduce your carbon footprint. By scheduling your lights to turn off when not in use or adjusting the brightness level to suit your needs, you can help to reduce your energy consumption and save money on your electricity bills, while still maintaining the light you want.
How long do under cabinet light bulbs typically last?
The lifespan of under cabinet light bulbs can vary depending on the type of bulb, the amount of time you use it, and other factors. LED bulbs are typically the most long lasting, with lifespans of up to tens of thousands of hours. In some cases, depending on how often they are used, LED under cabinet lights can last for decades without needing replacement.
When selecting under cabinet lights, be sure to check the manufacturer’s specifications for information on bulb lifespan and replacement. It’s also a good idea to choose high quality bulbs and fixtures, as these are typically designed to offer longer lifespans and better performance than cheaper, lower quality options.
Can under cabinet lights be used in humid locations, such as a kitchen or bathroom?
Under cabinet lights can be used in wet or damp locations, such as a kitchen or bathroom, but it’s important to choose models that are specifically designed for these environments.
If you’re planning to install under cabinet lights in a wet or damp location, be sure to look for fixtures that are labelled as suitable for damp or humid environments. These fixtures are designed to be resistant to moisture and can withstand the higher levels of humidity and moisture that are common in kitchens and bathrooms.
It’s also important to ensure that the wiring and electrical components of your under cabinet lights are properly installed and sealed to prevent moisture from entering. This may require the assistance of a qualified electrician, particularly if you are not experienced in working with electrical wiring.
Make sure you choose under cabinet lights with an IP rating of at least IP44 if you’re using them in locations where they could be exposed to increased humidity, and IP68 if they are going to be outside or exposed to more extreme conditions.
How do I clean and maintain my under cabinet lights?
Cleaning and maintaining your under cabinet lights is important to ensure optimal performance and longevity. Here are some general tips for cleaning and maintaining your under cabinet lights:
- Turn off the power. Even if you have LED lighting, before cleaning your under cabinet lights, turn off the power at the wall or the circuit breaker to prevent the risk of electrical shock.
- Remove any dirt or debris. Use a soft, dry cloth to gently remove any dirt, debris, or cobwebs from the surface of your lights. If the lights are particularly dirty, you can use a damp cloth or sponge with mild soap to clean them.
- Don’t use abrasive materials. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals to clean your lights, as these can damage the surface and the wiring, and can cause them to fail.
- Check for burnt out bulbs. If under cabinet lights are dimmer than usual or not working properly, check to see if any bulbs need to be replaced.
- Inspect the wiring. Regularly inspect the wiring and electrical components of your under cabinet lights to ensure that they are properly installed and in good condition. If you notice any signs of damage or wear, such as frayed wires or loose connections, discontinue using them until they can be repaired or the parts replaced.
By following these simple cleaning and maintenance tips, you can help to extend the lifespan of your under cabinet lights and ensure that they continue to provide reliable and efficient lighting for your home.
Are there any safety concerns I should be aware of when using under cabinet lights?
Yes, there are some safety concerns to be aware of when using under cabinet lights. One of the primary concerns is ensuring that the lights are properly rated for the environment in which they will be used.
When choosing under cabinet lights, be sure to look for models that have appropriate safety ratings, such as IP ratings. The IP (Ingress Protection) rating system is used to indicate how well a light or other electrical device is protected against dust and water. The first number in the rating indicates the degree of protection against solid objects, while the second number indicates the degree of protection against water.
For under cabinet lights used in damp or wet locations, such as a kitchen or bathroom, it’s important to choose models that have a high enough IP rating to protect against moisture and water. A minimum rating of IP44 is recommended for lights in these locations.
It’s also important to ensure that the lights are installed properly and safely, following all applicable electrical codes and regulations. If you’re not comfortable working with electrical wiring, it’s always best to hire a qualified electrician to handle the installation.
By choosing lights with appropriate safety ratings and following proper installation and safety guidelines, you can help to ensure that your under cabinet lights are safe and reliable for use in your home.
How do I choose the right size and style of under cabinet lights for my space?
Choosing the right size and style of under cabinet lights for your space is an important consideration to ensure that you get the best possible lighting and aesthetic results. Here are some tips to help you choose the right size and style of under cabinet lights for your space:
- Consider the size of your cabinets. The size of your under cabinet lights should be proportional to the size of your cabinets. For example, larger cabinets may require longer or wider under cabinet lights to provide adequate illumination.
- Think about the overall style of your space. Under cabinet lights come in a variety of styles, from sleek and modern to decorative. If your under cabinet lights will be visible at all, choose a style that complements the overall aesthetic of your kitchen or workspace.
- Determine the type of lighting you need. Under cabinet lights can provide a range of lighting effects, from task lighting for food preparation to accent lighting for decorative displays. Determine the type of lighting you need and choose a fixture that is designed to provide that specific type of lighting.
- Check the specifications of the fixture. Be sure to check the specifications of any under cabinet lights you are considering, including the wattage, lumen output, and colour temperature. These factors will affect the brightness and quality of the light, as well as the energy efficiency of the fixture.
- Consider the installation requirements. Some under cabinet lights may require a specific type of installation, such as hardwiring or plug in installation. Determine the installation requirements and make sure that you have the necessary resources and skills to install the fixture properly.
By considering these factors and doing some research on different under cabinet light options, you can choose the right size and style of under cabinet lights for your space and ensure that you get the best possible lighting results.
Are there any additional features or benefits to consider when selecting under cabinet lights?
Yes, there are a number of additional features and benefits to consider when selecting under cabinet lights. Here are some options to keep in mind:
- Some under cabinet lights are designed with dimming capabilities, allowing you to adjust the brightness of the light as needed. This can be particularly useful for creating a more relaxing or ambient atmosphere in the evening or for reducing glare during food preparation tasks.
- Some under cabinet lights feature motion sensors, which turn the lights on and off automatically based on movement in the room. This can be a convenient option for spaces such as under stair cupboards, where you may have your hands full, or where it isn’t easy to reach for a light switch.
- Some under cabinet lights are designed with colour changing capabilities, allowing you to adjust the colour of the light to suit your preferences or mood. This can be particularly useful for creating a fun or unique atmosphere in your kitchen or workspace.
- Some under cabinet lights can be controlled wirelessly, either through a remote control or via an app on your smartphone or tablet. This can be a convenient option for those who prefer to control their lighting from a distance or who want to set up automated lighting schedules.
- Many under cabinet lights are designed with energy efficient LED bulbs, which can help to save on energy costs and reduce your environmental impact. Look for models that have high lumens per watt ratings to ensure optimal energy efficiency.
How much do under cabinet lights cost? Are they expensive?
The cost of under cabinet lights can vary widely depending on a number of factors, including the style, size, features, and brand of the lights. But in general, under cabinet lights are considered to be an affordable and cost effective lighting solution for most homeowners.
Basic under cabinet lights, such as LED strip lights, can be purchased for as little as £10 to £20, making them an excellent budget friendly option for those who are looking to add some extra brightness to their kitchen or workspace. Higher end, under cabinet lights, such as puck lights or fixtures with additional features, can cost upwards of £50 to £100 per fixture.
Overall, the cost of under cabinet lights is relatively low compared to other types of lighting fixtures. This makes under cabinet lights an excellent choice for those who are looking to add some extra illumination to their space without breaking the bank.
Do I need to buy accessories with cabinet and display lights?
Whether you need to buy accessories when purchasing cabinet and display lights will depend on the specific style and installation requirements of the lights you choose. Some under cabinet lights come with everything you need for installation, including mounting brackets, screws, and wiring. However, other styles may require additional accessories, such as connectors or extension cables, to properly install or connect multiple lights.
If you’re purchasing under cabinet lights that use LED strip lighting, for example, you may need to purchase connectors or extension cables to connect multiple strips together. Some styles of under cabinet lights may also require additional mounting brackets or clips to secure the lights in place.
It’s important to carefully read the product description and installation instructions for any under cabinet lights you’re considering purchasing to determine if any additional accessories are required. In some cases, accessories may be sold separately, so be sure to factor in the additional cost when budgeting for your lighting project.
If you’re at all unsure, get in touch with our team – we’ll be able to advise you.
Our final thoughts
Cabinet and display lighting can be a great way to add some extra illumination and visual interest to your kitchen or other living spaces. Whether you’re looking for task lighting for food preparation, accent lighting for decorative displays, or simply want to add a touch of style and sophistication to your home, there are many different types of under cabinet lights and display lights available to choose from. At Lighting Direct, we offer a wide range of high quality cabinet and display lights, and we’re committed to providing our customers with the best possible service and support. With our Change Your Mind Guarantee, you can shop with confidence, knowing that you can return or exchange your purchase within 30 days of delivery if you’re not completely satisfied. So why wait? Browse our selection of cabinet and display lights today and discover the perfect lighting solution for your home!