Solar Motion Sensor Lights & Security Lights
- 10% OffSpecial Price £44.99 Regular Price £49.99
Keeping your home and family safe is a top priority, and one of the most effective ways to do so is through adequate lighting. Solar motion sensor lights and security lights are an excellent option for illuminating the exterior of your home and deterring potential intruders. Not only are these lights energy-efficient – costing little to nothing to run – but they also provide an added level of convenience and security. In this post, we’ll take a closer look at the benefits of solar motion sensor lights and security lights, and how they can help you keep your home safe and secure.
Why are security lights important outside the home?
Security lights are an essential component of home security systems around the outside of the home. A well-lit home is a visible deterrent to potential intruders, encouraging them to think twice before attempting to break into a property. A few reasons why you might want to consider using security lights around the outside of your home:
- Security lights make it easier to see around the outside of your home at night, so you can easily spot intruders or suspicious activity. The increased visibility also makes it easier for you, and any legitimate visitors to navigate outdoor areas at night.
- The presence of security lights can deter potential intruders – particularly chancers – from approaching your property, because they are less likely to target a property that has a visible security system in place.
- Security lights can improve safety around the home, reducing the risk of accidents and falls in poorly lit areas.
- Knowing that your property is protected by security lights can give you peace of mind, reducing stress and anxiety.
Overall, security lights are an important component of home security systems, especially outside the home. They provide improved visibility, deter potential intruders, enhance safety, and increase peace of mind for residents.
Why use solar motion sensor lights?
Solar motion sensor lights are a popular option for outdoor security lighting for several reasons:
- Solar motion sensor lights are powered by the sun’s energy, making them an eco-friendly and sustainable option, as well as being affordable. With no electricity required from your home, they are better for the environment, and your wallet.
- Solar motion sensor lights don’t require any wiring or electrical installation, and don’t have any ongoing electricity costs, making them an economical option in the long run.
- Solar motion sensor lights are easy to install since they don’t require any wiring or electrical connections – they can simply be mounted on walls, posts, or other outdoor structures using screws or brackets.
- Solar motion sensor lights come in various styles and designs, making them a versatile option for outdoor security lighting. They can be used in different places, such as brightening up driveways, pathways, or entrances.
- Solar motion sensor lights are designed to detect when someone is moving in the area, and to turn on automatically, making them an effective deterrent to potential intruders. They provide improved visibility and can alert residents of any suspicious activity.
Are solar motion sensor lights really bright enough for security use?
Yes, solar motion sensor lights are designed to be bright enough for security use, despite being powered by the sun’s energy. This is because most solar motion sensor lights use LED (Light Emitting Diode) technology.
LEDs are highly efficient and require very little power to operate. This means that solar motion sensor lights can produce bright, high-quality light without requiring much energy. In addition, the solar panels that charge the lights are designed to absorb as much sunlight as possible, even on cloudy days. As long as the solar charger gets enough sunlight, the battery will be able to store plenty of energy to power the light at night.
Another advantage of LEDs is that they have a long lifespan compared to traditional bulbs, which means they need to be replaced less often. This makes solar motion sensor lights an even more cost-effective option in the long run.
What materials are solar motion sensor lights made from?
Solar motion sensor lights can be made from various materials, depending on their design and intended use. The most commonly used materials for solar motion sensor lights include:
- Plastic is a popular material for solar motion sensor lights because it is lightweight, durable, and affordable. Plastic can be moulded into various shapes and sizes, and is often used for outdoor lights because it is weather-resistant.
- Solar motion sensor lights made from metal, such as stainless steel or aluminium, are durable and long-lasting. Metal lights come in various finishes, from brushed or polished, to matte or antiqued, and can be used in traditional or modern decor.
- Glass is a common material for solar motion sensor lights because it can be fit various shapes and colours, and doesn’t rust.
The best choice of material for solar motion sensor lights depends on the intended use, the place it will be put, and personal preference.
What colours are solar motion sensor lights?
Solar motion sensor lights are available in various colours, but they tend to be more subdued and neutral than decorative lights. The most common colours for solar motion sensor lights are black, white, grey, and silver tones. These colours blend well with different outdoor environments and provide a modern and sleek look.
Since they are designed to be practical and functional, providing enhanced security and visibility to outdoor areas, there aren’t as many colour options as decorative lights. But, they are available in various neutral tones that can blend well with different outdoor environments.
Do I need my solar motion sensor lights to have a safety rating?
Yes, safety ratings are important for solar motion sensor lights, especially for outdoor use. It’s important to check the safety ratings and certifications of the solar motion sensor lights you plan to use to ensure they are safe and reliable.
For outdoor use, solar motion sensor lights should have a high IP (Ingress Protection) rating, which indicates how resistant they are to dust and water. A rating of IP44 is sufficient for outside most homes, but IP68 or above is recommended for particularly exposed areas, such as coastal regions, where the lights may be exposed to harsh weather conditions.
An IP68 rating means that the lights are completely waterproof and can withstand being submerged in water for extended periods without being damaged. This rating also provides protection against debris and dust, making them suitable for outdoor use in various environments.
What colour temperature are security lights?
The colour temperature of security lights can vary depending on the type and design of the light. Generally, security lights are available in a range of colour temperatures, from cool to warm.
Cool white is a common colour temperature for security lights, as it provides a bright and clear light that can improve visibility in outdoor areas. Cool white light has a colour temperature between 5000K to 6500K, which provides a bright, white light that is similar to natural daylight.
Neutral white is another common colour temperature for security lights. It has a slightly warmer tone than cool white, with a colour temperature between 4000K to 4500K. Neutral white light provides a more natural and inviting light, while still offering bright and clear illumination.
Warm white is a warmer colour temperature that provides a more inviting and relaxing atmosphere. Warm white light has a colour temperature between 2700K to 3000K, which provides a soft and comfortable glow that is ideal for outdoor entertaining areas or garden lighting.
The choice of colour temperature for security lights depends on personal preference and the intended use of the light. Cool white is commonly used for enhanced visibility and security, while neutral white and warm white can provide a more inviting and comfortable atmosphere, such as for lighting up garden paths.
What type of motion sensors are built into our solar security lights?
Our solar security lights come with either a Microwave Movement Sensor or a PIR (Passive Infrared) Movement Sensor, depending on the model. Both types of motion sensors are designed to detect motion and trigger the light to turn on automatically.
A Microwave Movement Sensor emits low-power microwaves that reflect off surrounding objects and detect motion. When the sensor detects movement, the light will turn on. Microwave movement sensors are more sensitive to motion and can detect movement through objects, such as walls or windows, making them an ideal choice for outdoor security lighting.
A PIR (Passive Infrared) Movement Sensor detects body heat and movement using infrared radiation. When the sensor detects movement, it sends a signal to the light to turn on. PIR sensors are more common in indoor lighting, and can be less sensitive to motion than microwave sensors – but they are still effective in detecting movement and triggering the light to turn on.
What other security features can be built into solar security lights?
Solar security lights can come with various security features that can enhance their functionality and reliability. Some of the most popular security features that can be built into solar security lights include:
- Some solar security lights can be controlled through a mobile app, allowing you to turn the lights on and off, adjust their brightness and sensitivity, and monitor their performance remotely.
- Solar security lights with dusk to dawn sensors can detect when the sun sets and rises, turning the light on and off automatically. This ensures that the lights are only on when they are needed, saving energy and improving efficiency.
- Some solar security lights come with a remote control, allowing you to turn the lights on and off, adjust their settings, and control their brightness from a distance.
- Solar security lights with Wi-Fi connectivity can be connected to your home Wi-Fi network, allowing you to monitor their performance and adjust their settings remotely using a mobile app or a web interface.
- Some solar security lights come with built-in Bluetooth connectivity and speakers, in some cases allowing you to stream music or audio from a mobile device, and use the lights as a wireless speaker.
- Solar security lights with vandal resistant models are designed to withstand damage from vandals or intruders, making them more reliable and durable.
The choice of security features for solar security lights depends on personal preference and the intended use of the light. Whether you need remote control, Wi-Fi connectivity, or vandal-resistant models, there are solar security lights available with various features to meet your needs.
What bulbs are used in solar motion sensor lights?
Integrated LEDs are the commonly used bulbs in solar motion sensor lights, especially in the UK, due to the lower levels of power provided by the sun. LEDs are highly efficient and require less power than traditional bulbs, making them an ideal choice for solar-powered lighting.
Integrated LEDs are also more durable and longer-lasting than traditional bulbs, which means they need to be replaced less often. This makes solar motion sensor lights with integrated LEDs a cost-effective and low-maintenance option in the long run.
What are the alternatives to solar motion sensor lights?
The usual alternatives to solar motion sensor lights are mains powered, 12v or 24v motion sensor lights. These lights are powered by mains electricity that connect to an outdoor plug socket, but don’t require a qualified electrician to install them. 12v or 24v motion sensor lights are similar to mains powered lights, but they run on low voltage electricity, making them safer and more energy-efficient. These lights are ideal for outdoor use, especially in areas where mains electricity isn’t suitable, and they connect to a 12v or 24v power supply using a transformer.
Mains powered motion sensor lights are another alternative that can provide a brighter and more powerful light output than solar motion sensor lights, making them ideal for larger outdoor areas or commercial properties. They can also be equipped with more advanced features, such as remote control, Wi-Fi connectivity, or timers, providing enhanced functionality and flexibility.
The choice of motion sensor lights depends on personal preference, the intended use of the lights, and the availability of electricity. Solar motion sensor lights are an eco-friendly and cost-effective option for outdoor security lighting, while mains powered or low voltage motion sensor lights can provide a brighter and more powerful light output, ideal for larger outdoor areas or commercial properties.
How are solar motion sensor lights fitted?
Solar motion sensor lights are designed to be easy to install and can be mounted on walls, posts, or other outdoor structures using screws or brackets. Full installation instructions are provided with all of the solar motion sensor lights in our range, but these are the usual steps to fit solar motion sensor lights:
- Choose the installation location: Select a location that receives plenty of sunlight during the day and is in the range of the motion sensor. Make sure there are no obstacles that could block the solar panel or the motion sensor.
- Prepare the surface: Clean the surface where you plan to install the light and make sure it is dry and smooth. If necessary, mark the spot where you plan to install the light using a pencil or marker.
- Mount the bracket: Attach the bracket to the surface using screws, making sure it is level and secure. If necessary, use wall plugs to ensure a secure fit.
- Connect the light: Connect the solar panel to the light using the cable provided, and secure the light to the bracket using screws or clips. Make sure the solar panel is facing the sun for as much of the day as possible, and is not shaded by trees, buildings, or other obstacles.
- Test the light: Turn the light on and test the motion sensor to make sure it is working correctly. Adjust the settings, such as the sensitivity or the duration of the light, according to your preferences.
- Maintain the light: Clean the solar panel regularly to remove any dust or debris that could block the sunlight. Check the battery and the cable connections periodically to ensure they are functioning correctly.
Fitting solar motion sensor lights is usually a simple and straightforward process that can be done by anyone with basic DIY skills. By following these steps, you can install your solar motion sensor lights quickly and easily, providing enhanced security and visibility to your outdoor areas.
How high should solar motion sensor lights be fitted?
The height at which solar motion sensor lights should be fitted depends on various factors, such as the size of the area to be illuminated and the range of the motion sensor. Here are some general guidelines to follow when fitting solar motion sensor lights:
- For general security lighting: If you are using solar motion sensor lights for general security lighting, it is recommended to mount them at a height of 6 to 10 feet (1.8 to 3 metres) above the ground. This height provides a broad coverage area, allowing the light to illuminate a larger area.
- For focused lighting: If you are using solar motion sensor lights for focused lighting, such as illuminating a door or a specific area, it is recommended to mount them at a height of 3 to 6 feet (0.9 to 1.8 metres) above the ground. This height provides a narrower coverage area, allowing the light to focus on a specific spot.
- For larger areas: If you need to illuminate a larger area, you may need to mount the solar motion sensor lights at a higher height, such as 12 to 20 feet (3.6 to 6 metres) above the ground. This height provides a wider coverage area, allowing the light to illuminate a larger area.
- For motion sensor range: Make sure the solar motion sensor light is mounted at a height that allows the motion sensor to detect movement at the desired range. Check the manufacturer’s specifications for the recommended height and range of the motion sensor.
The height at which solar motion sensor lights should be fitted depends on the intended use of the light and the range of the motion sensor. By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your solar motion sensor lights are mounted at the correct height, providing enhanced security and visibility to your outdoor areas.
Our final thoughts
Solar motion sensor lights are an effective and eco-friendly option for outdoor security lighting. They are easy to install, low maintenance, and can be fitted with various security features, such as motion sensors and dusk to dawn sensors. Whether you need general security lighting or focused lighting, solar motion sensor lights can provide enhanced visibility and security to your outdoor areas.
We offer a wide range of solar motion sensor lights to suit different needs and preferences. We also offer a Change Your Mind Guarantee, allowing you to return your light within 30 days if you don’t love it, so why not browse our range today and find the perfect solar motion sensor light for your home? With our range of high-quality and reliable solar motion sensor lights, you can enjoy enhanced security and visibility while reducing your energy consumption and carbon footprint.