Post & Bollard Lights
- 10% OffSpecial Price £62.99 Regular Price £69.99
- 10% OffSpecial Price £44.99 Regular Price £49.99
- 41% OffSpecial Price £15.73 Regular Price £26.99
- 20% OffSpecial Price £193.60 Regular Price £242.00
Post and bollard lights are a great way to add safety and style to the outdoor space around your home. They are perfect for lighting up paths and drives, and are available in a variety of styles, colours, and designs, making it easy to create the perfect lighting outside your home. Whether you need lighting for a walkway, garden, or driveway, post and bollard lights are a reliable, effective way to illuminate your outdoor area. In this post, we will cover everything you need to know about post and bollard lights, including their benefits, styles, installation, and maintenance.
What are post and bollard lights?
Post lights, also known as lamp posts or post mounted lights, are outdoor lighting fixtures that are mounted on a post or pole. They are typically used to provide general lighting, and safety lighting for driveways, pathways, and around outdoor living areas. Post lights come in a variety of styles, from traditional lanterns to modern designs, and are available in a range of materials such as metal, wood, or synthetic materials.
Bollard lights are outdoor lighting fixtures that are designed to provide low level illumination along walkways, driveways, and other outdoor areas. They are named after bollards, which are the short vertical posts that are used to prevent vehicles from entering pedestrian areas. Bollard lights are typically mounted on a short post or pedestal and feature a cylindrical or rectangular shape. They are available in a range of materials, such as metal, glass, or plastic, and are available in a variety of styles, from modern and minimalist to traditional and decorative. Bollard lights are often used to provide accent lighting, or to mark the edges of a pathway or garden bed.
Both post and bollard lights can be powered by electricity or solar panels, and some models may feature sensors that detect motion or ambient light levels, so they can automatically turn on and off as needed, such as when someone is
What styles do post and bollard lights come in?
Post and bollard lights are available in a wide variety of styles to suit different outdoor lighting needs and design preferences. Some popular styles include:
- Traditional lights have a classic and timeless design that can complement a range of architectural styles. They often feature decorative glass panels, metal frames, and intricate details.
- Contemporary lights have a sleek and modern design, characterised by simple shapes, clean lines, and minimalistic features. They often feature brushed steel, or matte black finishes.
- Rustic lights have a warm and inviting design, often featuring a weathered metal finish or natural wood elements. They can complement a range of natural outdoor settings, such as gardens, parks, and rural landscapes.
- Industrial lights have a bold and utilitarian design, often featuring exposed metal elements, bare bulbs, and distressed finishes. They can complement modern and industrial outdoor spaces.
Solar lights are powered by solar panels, making them an energy efficient and environmentally friendly option. They come in a variety of styles, from traditional to modern, and are often available in different colours and lighting modes.
With so many styles to choose from, you can find post and bollard lights that complement your home’s architecture, reflect your personal style, and meet your outdoor lighting needs.
Where are the best places to install post and bollard lights?
Post and bollard lights are versatile, and can be used in a variety of outdoor spaces. Here are some of the best places to install post and bollard lights:
- Post and bollard lights are great for illuminating pathways and walkways, providing safe and easy navigation around your outdoor space.
- Post and bollard lights can also be used to light up driveways and parking areas, making it easier to park and navigate in low light conditions.
- Post and bollard lights can be used to highlight and illuminate garden and landscaping features, such as shrubs, trees, and water features, adding depth and interest to your outdoor space.
- Post and bollard lights can be used to create a warm and inviting atmosphere on patios and decks, for a soft and subtle glow that enhances the beauty of your outdoor living area.
- Post and bollard lights can be used to light up pool, hot tub, and spa areas, providing a safe and inviting atmosphere for night time swimming and entertainment.
By strategically placing post and bollard lights in these areas, you can create a safe, functional, and inviting outdoor space that you can enjoy year round.
Can post and bollard lights be solar powered?
Yes, post and bollard lights can be solar powered, making them a popular and environmentally friendly option for outdoor lighting. Solar powered post and bollard lights have a solar panel that captures sunlight during the day, storing the energy in rechargeable batteries that power the light at night. The solar panel must be installed in a location that receives direct sunlight to ensure maximum efficiency.
Solar powered lights do not require any wiring or electrical installation, making them a convenient option for outdoor spaces that are difficult to access or lack electricity, and don’t add to energy bills, making them a cost effective option.
How do I install post and bollard lights?
The installation process for post and bollard lights will vary depending on the type of light and the location of the installation. Here are some general steps to follow:
- Decide where you want to install the post or bollard light. Consider the layout of the space and the coverage area needed for the light fixture.
- Use a shovel or a post hole digger to dig a hole in the ground where you want to install the light fixture. The depth of the hole will depend on the height of the post or bollard, but typically it should be at least 18 inches deep.
- For post lights, install the mounting plate on top of the post, following the manufacturer’s instructions. For bollard lights, attach the mounting bracket to the base of the fixture.
- For wired lights, run the wiring through the post or bollard and connect it to the power source. Be sure to follow local building codes and safety guidelines.
- Place the post or bollard into the hole, making sure it is level. Fill the hole with concrete or gravel and pack it tightly around the post or bollard.
- For wired lights, connect the fixture to the wiring and secure it in place. For solar powered lights, attach the solar panel to the top of the post or bollard and connect the wires to the fixture.
- Turn on the power source or wait for the solar powered light to charge. Test the light to make sure it is working properly.
Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and any applicable safety guidelines when installing post and bollard lights. If you are unsure about the installation process or do not have the necessary tools or experience, consider hiring a licensed electrician or a professional installer to ensure a safe and proper installation.
What type of bulb should I use in my post or bollard light?
Most post and bollard lights today come with integrated LED bulbs, which offer several benefits over traditional bulbs. LEDs are energy efficient, long lasting, and cost effective to run. They are also available in a range of colour temperatures, from warm white to cool white, and can be dimmable or non-dimmable, depending on the model. Additionally, LED bulbs emit very little heat, so they are safe and cool to the touch.
How do I maintain and clean my post or bollard light?
Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prolong the life of your post or bollard light and ensure that it remains in good working condition. Here are some tips on how to clean and maintain your outdoor post or bollard light:
- Before cleaning your post or bollard light, turn off the power source to avoid electrical shock. This is most important if your light is connected to the mains.
- Use a soft, damp cloth or sponge to clean the surface of the fixture, removing any dirt, grime, or debris. For stubborn stains, you can use a mild soap solution or a specialised outdoor cleaner, but be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and rinse the fixture thoroughly.
- The lens of the fixture can become dirty or foggy over time, reducing the brightness and clarity of the light. Use a soft, dry cloth or a specialized lens cleaner to gently wipe the lens, being careful not to scratch or damage it.
- Inspect the wiring and connections for any signs of damage or wear, such as frayed wires or loose connections. If you notice any problems, contact a licensed electrician to repair or replace the wiring.
- If your post or bollard light uses a replaceable bulb, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and replace the bulb as needed. LED bulbs generally last longer than traditional bulbs, so this isn’t likely to happen any time soon.
- Inspect the post or bollard for any signs of damage, such as cracks or rust.
By following these simple maintenance and cleaning tips, you can keep your post or bollard light in good condition and ensure that it provides reliable and long lasting illumination for your outdoor space.
Do you have safety tips for using post and bollard lights?
Post and bollard lights are generally safe to use, but it is important to take certain safety measures to ensure that they are installed and operated properly. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when using post and bollard lights:
- Install post and bollard lights in a location that is safe and accessible, and that provides adequate lighting for the area. Avoid installing lights near flammable materials, or in areas where they can be easily knocked over.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing post and bollard lights, and ensure that the wiring and connections are installed properly and securely.
- Use bulbs that are recommended by the manufacturer and that are appropriate for the fixture’s voltage and wattage. Never exceed the recommended wattage or use bulbs that are not intended for outdoor use.
- Keep the area around the post or bollard light clear of debris, plants, and other obstructions that can block the light or create a tripping hazard.
- Inspect the post or bollard light regularly for signs of damage, such as cracks, rust, or corrosion. If you notice any damage, contact a professional to repair or replace the fixture.
- Always turn off the power source to the post or bollard light when servicing or cleaning the fixture.
By following these safety measures, you can ensure that your post and bollard lights are safe and reliable, and that they provide effective illumination for your outdoor space.
Can post and bollard lights be used in coastal areas?
Post and bollard lights can be used in coastal areas, but it is important to choose fixtures that are specifically designed for this type of environment. Coastal areas can be exposed to harsh weather conditions, such as high winds, salt spray, and corrosive air, which can damage light fixtures that are not designed to withstand these conditions. Here are some factors to consider when choosing post and bollard lights for coastal areas:
- Look for fixtures that are made from high quality, corrosion resistant materials, such as marine grade stainless steel or aluminium. Avoid fixtures made from materials that are prone to rust or corrosion, such as iron or low grade steel.
- Choose fixtures with a durable and protective finish, such as powder coating or anodizing, that can resist fading, chipping, and peeling. Look for fixtures that are specifically designed for outdoor use and have a warranty that covers corrosion.
- Look for fixtures with high quality glass that is resistant to impact and corrosion. Avoid fixtures with plastic lenses or low quality glass that can become brittle or discoloured over time.
- Ensure that the wiring and connections are made from materials that are resistant to corrosion, such as copper or brass. Make sure that the wiring is properly sealed and protected from water and salt spray.
- Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prolong the life of your post or bollard light in a coastal environment. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and maintenance, and inspect the fixture regularly for signs of damage or wear.
By choosing post and bollard lights that are designed for coastal environments and taking proper care of them, you can enjoy reliable and long lasting outdoor lighting that enhances the beauty and safety of your coastal home or business.
How do I troubleshoot post and bollard lights if they aren’t working?
If your post or bollard light is not working, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to diagnose and fix the problem:
- Ensure that the power source to the post or bollard light is turned on and that the circuit breaker or fuse is not tripped. Check the wiring and connections for any signs of damage or wear, such as frayed wires or loose connections.
- If your post or bollard light uses a replaceable bulb, ensure that the bulb is properly inserted and not burnt out. If the bulb is burnt out, replace it with a new one.
- If your post or bollard light has a photocell or sensor, ensure that it is clean and unobstructed, and that it is properly aligned with the light source. If the photocell or sensor is faulty, replace it with a new one.
- If your post or bollard light is solar powered, ensure that the battery is fully charged and properly installed. If the battery is low or faulty, replace it with a new one.
- If your post or bollard light has a timer or settings, ensure that they are properly programmed and set. If the timer or settings are incorrect, adjust them accordingly.
If none of these troubleshooting steps resolve the issue, it may be necessary to contact a licensed electrician, or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
What features do post and bollard lights have?
Post and bollard lights have a range of features that make them convenient and versatile lighting options for outdoor spaces. Some of the most popular features include:
- Dusk to dawn sensors: These automatically turn the lights on at dusk and off at dawn, providing you with hassle free and energy efficient lighting.
- Motion sensors: Sensors that detect movement and turn the lights on automatically can be really convenient, and enhancing the security of your property, deterring intruders.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity: Some post and bollard lights can be connected to your Wi-Fi or Bluetooth network, allowing you to control the lights from your smartphone or tablet using an app. This can be a convenient and easy way to adjust the lighting levels, colours, and settings of your lights.
- Colour control via an app: Some post and bollard lights have colour control options, allowing you to change the colour and brightness of the lights to suit your mood and style. With an app, you can easily adjust the colours and settings of your lights from the comfort of your home.
- Smart home integration: Some post and bollard lights can be integrated with your smart home system, allowing you to control the lights using your voice or a smart home hub. This can be a convenient and easy way to control your lights and other smart home devices from a single location.
By choosing post and bollard lights with these features, you can enjoy reliable and convenient lighting that enhances the beauty and safety of your outdoor space.
Are post and bollard lights weatherproof? What safety rating should I look for?
Yes, post and bollard lights are typically designed to be weatherproof and are built to withstand the elements. However, it is important to ensure that you choose post and bollard lights with the appropriate safety rating to ensure that they are suitable for your outdoor space.
When choosing post and bollard lights, look for a safety rating that indicates the level of protection that the lights provide against water and dust. The most common safety rating for outdoor lighting is the Ingress Protection (IP) rating, which consists of two digits. The first digit indicates the level of protection against solid objects, while the second digit indicates the level of protection against water.
For example, an IP65 rating means that the light is dust tight and protected against water jets from any direction, making it suitable for outdoor use in all weather conditions. An IP44 rating is also suitable for outdoor use, as it indicates that the light is protected against splashing water from any direction.
It is important to ensure that the post and bollard lights you choose have the appropriate safety rating for your outdoor space to ensure that they are safe, reliable, and durable.
Are post and bollard lights suitable for coastal areas?
If you are in a coastal area, there are a few things to consider when choosing and installing post and bollard lights:
- Coastal areas are often exposed to saltwater, which can be corrosive to metal and other materials. When choosing post and bollard lights, look for materials that are corrosion resistant, such as marine grade stainless steel or brass.
- Coastal areas are also often exposed to high winds and storms. Look for post and bollard lights that are designed to withstand high winds and are securely anchored to the ground.
- As mentioned earlier, the IP rating of post and bollard lights indicates the level of protection against water and dust. In coastal areas, where there is a higher risk of saltwater exposure, it is important to choose post and bollard lights with a high IP rating, such as IP65 or higher.
- In coastal areas, post and bollard lights may require more frequent maintenance to ensure that they continue to function properly. Regular cleaning and inspection can help to prevent corrosion and other issues caused by saltwater exposure.
By taking these factors into consideration, you can choose post and bollard lights that are suitable for your coastal area and provide safe, reliable, and durable lighting for your outdoor space.
Our final thoughts
Post and bollard lights are a versatile and practical way to enhance the beauty and safety of your outdoor space. With a variety of styles, colours, and designs to choose from, you can find the perfect lighting solution to suit your needs and preferences. At Lighting Direct, we offer a wide selection of post and bollard lights that are durable, efficient, and stylish. And with our Change Your Mind Guarantee, you can shop with confidence, knowing that you can request a return or exchange within 30 days of delivery. Browse our range of post and bollard lights today and find the perfect lighting solution for your outdoor space.